Re: X (was Re: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux)

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
27 Mar 1998 17:21:16 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.3.96.980327193738.17319C-100000@nightshade.ml.org>,
<linker@nightshade.ml.org> wrote:
>On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Alan Cox wrote:
>
>> The Opengroup are trying to keep this remarkably quiet for some reson. Now
>> I wonder why, perhaps its feeling guilty about a futile attempt to hijack
>> and abuse a great free software work. Opengroup members mumble things like
>> 'Im sorry I cant discuss this' when you ask them outright what they are
>> playing at.
>>
>> Now perhaps more people will understand why the GPL is a better license
>> than the BSD one in many cases.
>>
>> Alan
>
>Would you mind beating some people over the head with this fact.. There
>are alot of people who dont see the danger of propritarization that the
>GPL protects coders from.

`Protects'?

As a coder who releases personal stuff exclusively (modulo the few
Linux kernel hacks I do) under a BSD-like license, I hope you won't
mind if I vigorously refuse this sort of protection.

If someone takes a bit of my code and makes a proprietary variant,
it's not _my_ throat they're cutting.

____
david parsons \bi/ Getting wayyy off topic here.
\/