Re: ide modules in 2.1.91

Andreas Muck (andi@koala.rhein-neckar.de)
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 13:02:54 +0200 (MEST)

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Gadi Oxman wrote:

> > I added this to /etc/conf.modules:
> >
> > alias block-major-3 ide-disk
> > alias block-major-22 ide-cd
>
> Alternatively, when using kmod with the default "alias block-major-[3,22,...]
> ide-probe" setup, the IDE driver will use the media type to request the
> appropriate sub-driver (ide-cd, etc) on the first access to /dev/hdx.

Ah yes. That was the trick. My conf.modules had block-major-3 and 22 set
to "off", that's why I set them to ide-disk and ide-cd to make modprobe
autoload them. Setting them to ide-probe or commenting them out at all
works (it's also mentioned in the docs, shame on me)

> > /lib/modules/2.1.91/block/ide-proc.o: couldn't find the kernel version
> > the module was compiled for
>
> ide-proc.o is not a stand-alone module yet (it is linked into ide-mod.o).

Hm, it was compiled and installed with make modules modules_install by
default. My .config for the IDE stuff:

#
# Floppy, IDE, and other block devices
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=m

#
# Please see Documentation/ide.txt for help/info on IDE drives
#
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD_IDE is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=m