Re: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux

Marek Habersack (grendel@vip.maestro.com.pl)
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 02:19:45 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > > An Alpha? A _PCI_ Alpha? One which takes the same video cards as a PC?
> >
> > May I point out that even tough both architecture share the same bus architecture (PCI), I doubt that a graphic card designed for Win98 will work on an Alpha. So there will always have sane PCI cards designed for alphas.
>
> Of course they will be the same. This is the whole point of PCI. In fact there
Of course they will not. The bus will be the same, but the video chipsets will
be different. The Windoze-compatible GUI chips will not work on Alpha running
anything else than Windows NT.

> Its not a "designed for Win98" - its an "oh thank god we can dump that
> performance sapping set of weird old PC features". It also means the
> 'two video cards is always hard on a PC' rubbish dies with it.
But you forget about the hardware that was really "designed for WinXX".

best wishes, marek

---
Democracy is a government where you can say what you think even if you
don't think.