Re: cpu, mmu, fpu are separate entities, sir. :)

Marek Habersack (grendel@vip.maestro.com.pl)
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 02:39:14 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Elijah L. Wright wrote:

> > standalone, then I'll rest my case. The same, imho, is with the average video
> > hardware - you've got one highly integrated chip that does all of the job.
> > That's what I meant by "it's the same hardware". It's different circuits
> > integrated in one chip.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^come back to this line later

> As was already said, "you really don't know anything about hardware, do
> you?" There is a *LOT* of current and semi-current hardware out there
No I don't - what's hardware?

> that runs Linux or one of the *BSD unices... and that doesn't have the
> mmu, fpu, et cetera integrated into the CPU.
Show me a current Intel CPU that hasn't it all in ONE chip.

> examples: any 386 that had a coprocessor added. 486dlc machines with
> coprocessor. Sun3 and early sun4 architectures. The FPU is most certainly
> a separate unit, and sun hacked together their own mmu because motorola
> didn't have one working that would do what they wanted at the time. MIPS
> based platforms that don't have an integrated MMU or FPU, but that can
> have one cobbled on as a peripheral.... (I know IDT makes a few of
> these... :) ) I'll not swear that the sun4's are as spread out among
> separate chips as the sun3's, since i havent' been inside anything less
> than a sparcstation 5 in the last six months or so.
Yes. And ENIAC was a barn of kathode lamps - is that what you're trying to
prove?
OK. I see your point - you can always find something to prove the contrary to
somebody else's opinion. But please take an Intel or Alpha CPU and show me:
"see, that small square to the left of that point is FPU and there, a little
lower, you've got the MMU." Come on!

> basically what i'm saying is that *none* of the classic hardware designs
> had all that stuff integrated together. What a pentium "CPU" really
> consists of is a cpu+fpu+mmu+cache in a single package.
Now, go back to the line I marked above - isn't it what I wrote? They are many
circuits integrated into one chip - which makes it one piece of hardware with
parts named differently more for historical reasons now rather because they
are separate hardware...

> whaddya mean, a video card is all one chip??? when i see one set up like
> that i think i'll jump out the window or something. :) you at least get a
> couple of different components on the card.... *chuckle*
Well, we were talking about the card processor not RAMDAC(s), memory etc. The
video logic is in ONE chip, isn't it?

best wishes, marek

---
Democracy is a government where you can say what you think even if you
don't think.