Re: much overhead profiling 2.1.92

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@fys.ruu.nl)
Sat, 4 Apr 1998 10:17:46 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Michael L. Galbraith wrote:

> I was doing some profiling of 2.1.92 when I noticed that my results
> seemed a bit screwy. I'm keeping the text short as to spare you the
> gory details my floundering searching :^)

Thanks, we can try to squeeze out some cycles...
Actually, we should profile all of the kernel regularly,
but most of us just spend our time coding :)

> Hope this helps. If anything important is missing, holler.

Um, yep, what do the values in the strace columns mean?
We just get 4 rows of numbers followed by a syscall,
the first number is the percentage of total time spent in that
call, the other numbers I don't know...

Rik.