Re: Some more kernel stats...

MOLNAR Ingo (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 00:23:02 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Sander van Malssen wrote:

> BTW, any other stats that someone would like to see? (Perhaps we could
> finally crack that ancient interrupt-handling-reported-as-idle-time
> bug somehow.)

this one should be doable, the speed of the timer interrupts isnt very
critical. You'll probably have to look at the interrupted EIP, and check
wether it's _not_ the 'hlt' instruction (only if we are in the idle task).
Then (and only then) add this tick to system time.

> call SYMBOL_NAME(sys_call_table)(,%eax,4)
> + incl kstat # kstat.syscalls++
> movl %eax,EAX(%esp) # save the return value

do we really want to have 2 cycles off from this _very_ heavily used code
path? [== 2% slower getpid()]

-- mingo