Re: List broken?

Matti Aarnio (matti.aarnio@tele.fi)
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 11:18:32 +0300 (EEST)

Like Dave noted:

> Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 16:24:13 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com>
>
> It seems that linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu is now broken.
>
> Since when does Linus run the mailing lists on vger?
>
> Script started on Thu Apr 2 16:18:42 1998
> # telnet vger.rutgers.edu 25
> Connected to vger.rutgers.edu.
> vrfy linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> 550 no such user: <linux-kernel>
> quit
> 221 2.0.0 vger.rutgers.edu Out
>
> Do you know what's up?

A ZMailer (mis-)feature, which does not affect real system
operations, and only causes surprised reports from people
who expect sendmail behaviour.

> Try instead:
>
> HELO localhost
> 250 localhost Hello localhost
> EXPN linux-kernel
> 250 local delivery for <|/usr/local/etc/majordomo/wrapper resend -p bulk -M 10000 -l linux-kernel -f linux-kernel -h vger.rutgers.edu -s linux-kernel-outgoing-dig>
>
> I just did it on vger right now. VRFY only works for real users, not
> alias expansions.

Right, the routing scripts could be improved for this kind of
cosmetics, but priority for it has been very low.

/Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@tele.fi> -- the ZMailer guy