Re: Proposed new file system?

Jeremy Fitzhardinge (jeremy@zip.com.au)
Fri, 03 Apr 1998 11:52:48 +1000

Riley Williams wrote:
> > Do an internet search on "userfs" or "user level filesystem" or
> > "cryptfs" and something will probably pop up.
>
> Here's the search results from www.yahoo.com as just received:
>[junk]

The "official" home of userfs is
sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/alpha/userfs. There is also a linux-userfs
like on vger. Unfortunately its all been rather quiet lately, and
there's not much work going on.

The userfs distribution includes a tar filesystem which someone
contributed, but I suspect its suffering bitrot. Most people seem to
use userfs for its ftp filesystem.

I originally wrote userfs, but I haven't done any new work on it for
some time. Occasionally people pop up and get interested, but there's
been no concerted development effort yet. There's no port to the 2.1
kernels, but it works on the 2.0 kernels.