Re: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
27 Mar 1998 13:46:54 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.3.96.980327100022.24088A-100000@abel.trekab.se>,
Andreas Fredriksson <kernel@abel.trekab.se> wrote:

>On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Larry McVoy wrote:
>
>> I don't need KGI. I'm running X on everything from $5 garage sale Trident
>> ISA cards to 8MB #9 PCI cards and in th 4+ years that I've been running
>> it on Linux, it's never crashed. Not once.
>
>I second that. The one thing which can happen is the X server flipping out
>due to bad configuration, but the machine can still be rebooted with the
>magic-threesome or through a rlogin session.

I've managed to have X smoke my console so badly that C-A-D doesn't
work at all, and I've had to telnet in and fix it. I ran for a
while starting xdm via telnetting in, but that was a really grotty
hack and I decided it was better to write off 80 days of uptime than
to be forced to use X.

I miss not being able to reliably use X or svgalib. I wish that KGI,
or fbcon, or anything, would make its way into the baseline kernel
so I could reliably use X or svgalib.

____
david parsons \bi/ ... or MGR, or ...
\/