Re: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 22:49:38 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Marek Habersack wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > may be graphical, but there are many tasks that can be done in text mode just
> > > fine.
> >
> > Cyrix MediaGX - next question.
> Never seen it... ;-(

It's been around since a few years. And it's being developed further. Seen at
CeBIT.

> > Also btw a modern accelerated card can blit bitmapped fonts and scroll the
> > screen about as fast as a text mode VGA card could. It'll also let you do far
> > more sizes of font and antialias them on the flashest devices.
> That's right, but OTOH I've seen cards (like Diamond Edge 3D) that are
> amazingly fast in gfx mode but the textmode refreshes like it were a 4Mhz XT
> machine... No, thankyou - I mostly work in text mode and I like it that way, I
> just hope it won't have gone with a wind...
> Try to understand my point - not everyone needs antialiased fonts, italics,
> 1000 fonts and nice looking icons (I'm not saying it's bad!) to do ones job.

My personal view is more like this:

1. support text mode on machines that have text mode
2. emulate (and perform well) text mode on machines that don't have it

So I wouldn't say you _have_ to use method 2, only when you can't use method 1.

Greetings,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be