Re: Mach syscalls on Linux/Alpha.

Josip Gracin (grac@fly.cc.fer.hr)
05 Apr 1998 13:00:26 +0200

Hello!

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com) wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Oleg Gusev wrote:
> >
> > the Acrobat Reader for DU4.0 uses pthreads, which use syscalls
> > with negative numbers, i.e. nxm_task_init #-33:
>
> I don't know how well they are documented, but with Mach sources lying
> around it shouldn't be impossible to find out what -33 does. We could

I'm probably missing something here, but here's my $0.02 anyway...

Under Mach, a user level task has the ability to set up his own system
call vector table so that when a thread executes a system call, Mach
redirects that call back to the appropriate routine in the task (to be
precise, in one of task's threads). Of course, the syscalls that Mach
internally uses cannot be redirected but there are not many of those.

So, I could be that syscall -33 is not the Mach's syscall, but it is
emulated by a server.