Re: hardware

Gerhard Mack (gmack@imag.net)
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 19:04:21 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998 linker@nightshade.ml.org wrote:

> What JERKS! Do they think that MS is all there is?????
> I bet they think their crap doesn't stink!
>
> Here's why I'm flaming mad:
>
> These download files are in Microsoft Word 6.0 format. After
> unzipping, these files can be viewed in any text editor, including
> all versions of Microsoft Word, WordPad, and Microsoft Word Viewer.
> (http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/pc99.htm)
>
> Since when can vi, joe, pico, emacs, jed, zed, MS notepad, ed, MS edlin,
> or MS dos edit read MSword files????????
>
> Or is MS now redefineing 'text editor' as something that can edit MS
> propritary format files?

This is an extention of their plan to replace adobie as the leader for
multi platform documents, they do provide a free word 6.0 reader but only
for win 3.1, and even then it's not guaranteed to work.

Could somone unlucky enough to be running Windoze read it, save it in a
more appropriate format and stick it on a web page somewhere?
I'd like to see it but I bannished MS from my system last summer in favor
of a cool operating system I read about in "the computer paper" back in
1995 ;)

Gerhard

--
Gerhard Mack
gmack@imag.net

As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.