Re: devfs patch v21 available

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
1 Apr 1998 00:38:01 +0200

In article <199803312213.IAA26698@vindaloo.atnf.CSIRO.AU>,
Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU> wrote:
>Ack! In my suggested userspace fix, I should have prefixed an exec:
>
># cd /sbin
># mv init init.real
># echo '#! /bin/sh\nmount -n -t devfs none /dev\nexec /sbin/init.real' > init
># chmod a+x init
>
>This will ensure that the init.real programme runs with PID=1. I think
>that will solve the problem.

No, init does NOT create the /dev/initctl fifo. It just assumes it's there.
Therefor the correct solution is to create it in some startup script and do
a kill -USR1 1 to tell init to open it.

Oh, and please do not create it in devfs itself - I hope to convince
some people to have open() on a AF_UNIX socket to behave as connect(), and
then move to using a Unix domain socket instead (so I can use SO_GETCREDS
and do all kinds of neat stuff in init for a normal user - for example
getting rid of the suid bit on xterm..).

Mike.

--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg | Our vision is to speed up time,
    miquels@cistron.nl  |   eventually eliminating it.