Re: 2.1.91 swap performance: jerky.

Sat, 28 Mar 1998 22:11:45 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> >
> > You are definitely on the right track.....
>
> Good.
>
> > Linux compile on 166 MHz Pentium Linux 2.1.91
> > Buslogic SCSI
> >
> > Time: ~16 minutes
> >
> > Booting 2.1.90 from a floppy, same kernel, takes ~24 minutes.
>
> Just out of interest, how much memory do you have? Also, can you give
> numbers for doing the same thing under 2.0.33 just to sanity-check (2.1.90
> was not necessarily very good in this regard, and getting better from bad
> is not something to be too proud of ;)?

I have 64 meg on both machines with 128 meg of swap. Both machines are
identical except for SMP; fast SCSI-2 Baracuda drives. Swap is on a
seperate drive used only for /tmp and swap.

> > Linux compile on 166 MHz dual Pentium SMP Linux 2.1.91
> > Buslogic SCSI
> >
> > Total time: ~14 minutes
> >
> > Booting 2.1.90 from a floppy, same kernel, takes ~20 minutes.
>
> Same questions, if at all possible..
>
> Linus

I will try, but I will have to do it Monday since I don't feel too good
about rebooting new kernels remotely.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.91 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).