Re: 2.1.91pre2 stable? More data.

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Sun, 5 Apr 1998 12:31:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 5 Apr 1998, Bill Broadhurst wrote:

> First, apologies if you've seen this already. I had sent it from a
> customer's site which was having net problems. I'm sending again as
> I've not seen this on the mailing list or gotten an acknowledgement.
>

> On Sun, Mar 29, 1998 at 12:14:53PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > Could you please pinpoint which release this started in, that would
> > certainly help a _lot_. By using a reasonable binary-search kind of
> > algorithm it shouldn't take all that long if you can indeed reproduce it
> > fairly easily and reliably.
>
> silence is not an indication that everything is now working. 2.1.92
> also has the dead process problem.

Indeed. This is true from my side as well. I've been silent not because I
thought it was working, but because I've been following what Doug Ledford
has been doing which may be related. There definitely seems to be problems
with devices and SMP, and they seem to be worse on the SCSI side simply
because the generic SCSI layer is fairly messy and involved (but there are
certainly indicators that other drivers are broken too, I just suspect
they are a lot easier to fix.. ;)

I currently have no idea where the problem would be, but appreciate the
follow-ups you've sent. Could you at some point try to write up a complete
description in one mail (right now I have multiple mails that all have
some information and it makes it harder to coalesce all the information).

Linus