Re: Modified floppies can crash Linux (fwd)

Joel Klecker (jk@espy.org)
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 09:48:27 -0800

At 04:17 -0500 1998-03-29, Ricky Beam wrote:
>Letting the chips fall where they may, I quote Theodore Y. Ts'o:
>>The ext2 filesystem will panic if it gets a read error when reading the
>>inode table, or the inode or block bitmaps. It's quite wrong, and
>>should be fixed. Fortunately, it's not that hard to fix. I'll try to
>>get patches to deal with this post haste.
>
>Part of me wants such things to panic the kernel. I.e. get my attention
>_NOW_.
>
>Make it an option.

Erm, it is, in a message dated a few minutes before the one I'm replying
to, you quoted the errors behavior portion of the man page for tune2fs,
what Ted is talking about is the sections of code where panics happen on
errors regardless of the chosen errors behavior.

--
Joel "Espy" Klecker    <mailto:jk@espy.org>    <http://web.espy.org/>
Debian GNU/Linux Developer...................<http://www.debian.org/>