Re: Getting serial.c to share it's interrupts.

Thomas Davis (ratbert@radiks.net)
Wed, 01 Apr 1998 14:17:46 -0600

Alan Cox wrote:

> > The chip set I'm working with, (the SMC IrCC controller) has 2 16550
> > based ACE's, and a MIR/FIR SCE. The SCE shares the interrupt with one
> > of the ACE's.
>
> ACE/SCE ??

ACE = Asynchronous Controller
SCE = Synchronous Controller

> I can't help on the shared IRQ one, although its a case of 'how to implement'
> not 'can it be'. One warning with driving the UARTs that fast (apart from
> the obvious dropped byte issues) the Linux kernel buffers serial data into
> 'flip buffers' it processes every timer tick. With 960Kbit+ you fill the
> buffers before you get a timer tick, so may want to fix that up a bit or
> bump HZ up

Well, for any speed over 115k, it's a whole new driver. Believe me. I
have to knock out serial.c, and take over for it after that. But, the
ACE is 16550 based, and in fact, runs great with the current serial.c
driver. It's the SCE portion that I'm looking to add support for -
without re-writing all of serial.c. First step, is to get serial.c to
kindly share it's interrupts.

The chip I'm working (for example) has a 128 byte fifo, DMA support, and
few other features..

I'm looking to make it do DMA, but I still need interrupt's for that.