Re: 2.0.34pre6

mlord (mlord@pobox.com)
Mon, 06 Apr 1998 17:42:48 -0400

Alan Cox wrote:
> ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/incoming/patch-2.0.34pre6.gz
>
> This has the changes folks had queued with Linus synced in, and the drivers
> synced with Don Becker. I have eata-dma and tlan drivers to merge but nothing
> else will go into 2.0.34 via me now barring last minute bug fixes.

Alan,

Would you be interested in an update to prevent IDE UltraDMA
from frying people's filesystems in 2.0.xx ?

It seems that enough people now have these units,
and they are completely unsafe with older kernels (2.0.xx).

[UltraDMA "reused" a status bit that used to mean "bad block",
but now means "CRC error, retry transfer". Linux 2.0.xx just
gives up when it sees "bad block", since it "knows" that it
cannot do anything about a bad block.. very painful. ]

--
mlord@pobox.com
The Linux IDE guy