Re: [offtopic] Re: CocaCola not really a secret

Steven Ireland (xombi@accessus.net)
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 02:23:58 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > <xombi@accessus.net> writes:
> > > To keep this on topic, it's important to point out that "software" CANNOT be
> > > patented, it can only be copyrighted.

> > Algorithms can be patented, though.

> Unproven. And also not outside the USA, although you can sometimes patent a
> clever implementation of an algorithm in a device

True. Let me clarify, the US laws state that you can only patent unique
mechanical designs and _processes_. I left that out before. By software I
meant you can't come up with a MS Word knockoff word-processor and expect a
patent.