Re: 2.1.92 [and 2.1.93 ...] crashes on Compaq 6000

Andrea Arcangeli (arcangeli@mbox.queen.it)
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 01:05:06 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, David C Niemi wrote:

>Hmmm, turning off CONFIG_SERIAL_ECHO also seems to make the boot-time
>crashes go away. Does this mean there is a flaw in CONFIG_SERIAL_ECHO, or
>just something wrong with the serial port on this box? ttyS0 does have a
>MouseSystems mouse on it (the PS/2 mouse is also there because the Compaq
>BIOS has no way to disable it).
>
>It also seems the scrolling with this option on is slower on the Compaq
>6000 than it is on more sensible generic PCs I have at home. And there
>were also interesting complaints about keyboard timeouts as I reported in
>my previous message.

I suppose CONFIG_SERIAL_ECHO will be an option but is not yet inserted in
the kernel configuration so people has to set it by hand Y or N.

It' s normal that all goes slow and stalls if you have some device
connected to the serial port.

Andrea[s] Arcangeli