Linus Torvalds (
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 18:24:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, David Woodhouse wrote:
> said:
> > 2.1.94?? 2.1.94???? WHERE IS OUR COPY??? :)
> Perhaps all that's changed is the number?
> I reckon he's just being paranoid and updating the version number as soon as
> possible to make sure he doesn't forget and release another one like 2.1.83,
> with the wrong version number :)

Indeed. When I release a new kernel, the thing I do is:

"make backup" (to create the tar-file)
make diff
bump version number

so I tend to bump the version number early rather than late.

However, I'll make a 94 available real soon now (ie within minutes), once
I've rebooted it to test that it still works (*),

(*) "regression testing"? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it
boots up it is perfect.

the body of a message to