Re: Encrypted filesystem under Linux.

Edward S. Marshall (emarshal@logic.net)
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 08:49:11 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, George Bonser wrote:
> And just exactly how are you supposed to deny downloads to people outside
> the US? Jo Schmidt gets an account with netcom that he telnets to
> from Germany. Downloads some package to his shell account and then moves
> it to his home account.
>
> Just because someone is connecting from a US IP address does not mean that
> they are originating there.

You are under the mistaken impression that the US export laws somehow make
sense, and if you can just rationalize them, the problems will generally
go away, because everyone will see how silly or unenforcable they are.

Wrong.

The U.S. Government in this particular case makes absolutely -no- sense,
and they don't have to. They control what products get in and out of the
country with crypto in them. If they don't like it, or think you're trying
to circumvent the rules, they can yank your permit to export. If you
export crypto without a permit, you'll go to jail. Do not pass Go, do not
collect $200. You've just exported a munition, and some bad guy might come
back and hurt the U.S. with that horrible piece of knowledge. Need to
protect our citizens, you know.

The solution? Make sure all ground-breaking crypto is done somewhere other
than the U.S., and make sure all products containing crypto are released
carefully outside of the U.S. OpenBSD's model makes perfect sense.

The U.S. government has made it clear that innovation is not wanted here.
So be it. Or, if you'd prefer, get on board with a number of the public
cryptography freedom groups who are fighting the current legislation.

Blah. I hate politics. And this is getting off-topic.

--
Edward S. Marshall  `-----------------------'   http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/

Spammers: Please email my blacklisting service at "spam@logic.net".