Re: Encrypted filesystem under Linux.

Riley Williams (rhw@bigfoot.com)
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 20:36:01 +0100 (BST)

Hi George.

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, George Bonser wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Edward S. Marshall wrote:

>> On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Neil Moore wrote:

>> B. All US mirrors to deny downloads to people outside the US.

> And just exactly how are you supposed to deny downloads to people
> outside the US? Jo Schmidt gets an account with netcom that he
> telnets to from Germany. Downloads some package to his shell
> account and then moves it to his home account.

> Just because someone is connecting from a US IP address does not
> mean that they are originating there.

Is that even relevant? I'm no expert on US law, but my understanding
is that it's up to the site from which the international transfer is
done to ensure that suchlike laws are enforced, so the US mirror would
be in the clear and netcom (in your example) would be in court...

> If I had a catchy quip, it would be here.

Grin...

Best wishes from Riley.