Re: parport: lp lp1=>lp0 ?!?

Byron Stanoszek (gandalf@winds.org)
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 23:31:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 11 Apr 1998, Peter-Paul Witta wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Byron Stanoszek wrote:
>
> [lp1 => lp0]
>
> [Changes]
> >... for example, LPT1
> >(under DOS) was sometimes /dev/lp1 in Linux, but will probably be
> >/dev/lp0 with the new Plug-and-Play driver. If printing breaks with
> >the new driver, try checking your lpd configuration.
>
> OK! but i did NOT - NNN OOO TTT - enable plug & play support. so the p&p
> driver _is_ p&p even without support for pnp???

I believe it's trying to say that due to the new PnP driver, printer ports
begin on /dev/lp0 instead of /dev/lp1. That goes independent of if you
configured PnP or not. Just rework your /etc/printcap to point to the new
device and link /dev/lpr to /dev/lp0 instead of lp1 if you prefer.

rm /dev/lpr;ln -s /dev/lp0 /dev/lpr

---
      .               .      |   - Gandalf, the Administrator of WindsMARE -
 -~~--__- WindsMARE -__--~~- |       Byron Stanoszek - gandalf@winds.org
   `                     '   |  telnet://winds.org:7348, http://www.winds.org