Re: possible ATAPI CDROM and sound problems

Erik Andersen (andersee@debian.org)
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 00:18:14 -0600

[--------------snip---------------]

> The second problem I have is with my ATAPI CDROM. I get a large number of
> messages in my logs like this:
>
> ATAPI device hdb:
> Error: Not ready -- (Sense key=0x02)
> Logical unit not ready - in progress (sic) of becoming ready --
> (asc=0x04, asc
> q=0x01)
> The failed "Play Audio MSF" packet command was:
> "47 00 00 04 23 3c 48 11 4a 00 00 00 "
> [the above is repeated many times]
> hdb: irq timeout: status=0xc0 { Busy }
> hdb: ATAPI 4X CDROM drive, 256kB Cache
> cdrom: open failed.
> cdrom: open failed.
> cdrom: open failed.
>
> It is possible that this is flaky hardware, but it worked pretty well
> under 2.1.94 and it doesn't work at all now, with 2.1.95. The drive is a
> Toshiba 4x. System is a dual P-133 (SMP kernel), 64 megs RAM. My config
> file follows my signiature.
>
> Dave

You don't need to worry. These are perfectly safe, and will soon be
going away completely in a kernel near you...

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org