Re: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@work.noris.de)
12 Apr 1998 14:24:03 +0200

grendel@vip.maestro.com.pl writes:
> On Sun, 29 Mar 1998, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > Of course not. Read what I said.. you render a bitmap and feed that to the
> > printer. Now look what ghostscript does. Shock horror I do belive it like
> > renders a bitmap and then sends it to the printer.
> OK, I see. So basically the only thing that has to be common in the two OSes
> is the format of the bitmap that is sent to the printer, right?

Since all bitmaps are created equal, meaning that it's rather trivial to
create format X on-the-fly given format Y (assuming both have a fixed,
known layout, and an equal number of bits/colors/pixel), this is a
non-issue.

Somewhat worse is the continuing idiocy of manufacturers who think their
bitmap format is so horrendously innovative that they don't tell you the
format. (Almost certainly, the opposite is true, i.e. the layout is so
embarrassingly simpe and/or stupidly convoluted it'd be embarrassing.)

--
Matthias Urlichs
noris network GmbH