Re: "I am not receiving anything from VGER lists ?"

Matti Aarnio (matti.aarnio@tele.fi)
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 02:06:52 +0300 (EEST)

> From: Hans-Christoph Rohland <hans-christoph.rohland@sap-ag.de>
> Christoph
>
> P.S: Am I the only one getting no more mails from linux-kernel or is
> there a general problem with the list?

You are on the list, which does not mean the email-feed to you
does not have problems -- as a matter of fact, UK and DE were
being redistributed thru a host at Oxford, UK, but that one
apparently hung up two days ago. Now the backlog has been
routed to a couple of FUNET.FI machines.

For the general info: We postmasters associated with these lists
are rather trigger-happy. If your email bounces for ANY reason
outside our sphere of direct influence, you are very likely to be
removed from the lists.

This should not surprise, as there are 17000 different recipient
addresses at VGER's 70 lists. (11000 different domains.)
We don't, unfortunately, have the luxury of free time to be spent
on rectifying people's email problems.

As of late a lot of people have problems where they have MX setup
of type:
customer.domain. IN MX 10 mail.customer.domain.
IN MX 20 mail.isp.comain.
and either, or both of the servers are mis-configured not to
accept addresses of type: <user@customer.domain>

In case of "mail.customer.domain" server it is a definite
misconfiguration, but in case of "mail.isp.domain" it may
well be a lack of communication.

Due to Internet growing from well-behaving academic research
community into ubiquitous, and rather unruly network, also
network resource abuse has arisen to be a real problem.

That has forced most systems to reject any third-party destined
email. Because most common mechanisms used for this are rather
clumsy, and require explicitely listing all domains for which
the relaying is accepted, a lot of people become rejected the
instant their own "mail.customer.domain" server does not work,
and email becomes diverted to "mail.isp.domain" server.

This lack of "customer.domain" acceptance at "mail.isp.domain"
is clear example of lack of communication. Owner of the
"customer.domain" has failed to negotiate with owner(s) of
"mail.customer.domain" to allow relaying to "customer.domain"
thru "mail.customer.domain" server.

/Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@tele.fi> <mea@nic.funet.fi>
<mea@vger.rutgers.edu>