Re: 2.1.95: freezes persist

Jim (u2232341@sigma.maths.unsw.EDU.AU)
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 21:39:12 +1000 (EST)

I have to say that even with minimalist monolithic kernel on
Dual-Pentium 100 (64mb RAM, 32MB swap) crashes after I put
some load on (load average 3.2) .... this was done by compiling
3 separate trees of kernel simutaneously.
The system freezes after about 5 minutes of compiling...
seems to me that "excessive" disk operations can cause this.
The same operation done on 2.0.33 hasn't got any problems.
The system locks up so dead that even SysRq keys doesn't work.
Nearly trashed my filesystem along the way too :O

I have AIC7870 onboard and also a Promise Ultra33 EIDE card
3 x 1GB SCSI for the AIC7870,
1x4gb + 1x 1gb on the promise card, no onboard PCI-IDE.

All Linux partitions are on the SCSI disks.

Oh, also, the aic7xxx driver doesn't compile directly after expansion
.. it required a patch to prevent an error ... this first
occurred in 2.1.92 (I think). Could you please include that patch
in the 2.1.96 please Linus ?

jim..