Re: Quickcam VCt

Thomas Davis (ratbert@radiks.net)
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 09:43:00 -0500

Alan Cox wrote:

> > Hey.... I was just questioning about the presence of a driver designed
> > to work for the Quickcam VC under linux... Does anyone realize that the
> > camera exists....? and if so have any efforts been made to develop a
> > driver, or even application to work with it....? I have contacted
> > Connectix myself, and received the specs for the color quickcam model,
> > but it seems that the commands are not compatible with the Quickcam
> > VC... I have tried several application based around the color quickcam
> > (cqcam, ColCq), and received similar results... If anyone knows anything
> > about support for the VC cam, I would GREATLY appreciate a response. :)
>
> The Colour quickcam and VC are not compatible, and trying to get VC docs
> out of Connectix has been fruitless so far.

And believe me, for the cost of a BT848 card & camera, if you are
serious about video, FORGET TOTALLY ABOUT THE CONNECTIX products.

They are badly designed for a Unix system; they was designed for a non
multi-tasking, low cost system (ie, Win95/MacOS) (ie, the Quickcam is a
polled only hardware, and is capable of only 1-15 frames per second,
depending on resolution & color/greyscale depth)

My suggestion: Take the quickcam back, and get a refund.