Re: Intel i82556 NIC

Donald Becker (becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov)
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 10:50:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Colin Coe wrote:

> I have been rambling about trying to get an Intel EtherExpress Pro/100A
> working under Linux for a couple of days. After closer inspection I have
> found that the 'eepro100.c' driver supports the i82557 chip set, well my
> EtherExpress NIC has the i82556 chip set. The 'eepro100.c' driver also
> appears to be specifically PCI, the card I have is ISA. Does anyone know
> of a driver to suit or what to do to make it work? I am quite willing to
> have a go, even a nudge in the right direction would be nice.

The EEPro100A is a first-generation board, apparently with many "erratas".
There is no Linux driver, and a Linux driver for the obsolete i82556 is
unlikely. That information is on the EEPro100 web page.

I elected *not* to press Intel for documentation on the i82556 -- if I had
signed the NDA I wouldn't be able to echo the reports of significant
problems with the chip. (Although some of problems were with the
first-generation PLX PCI interface chip.)

Donald Becker becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD. 20771
301-286-0882 http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/people/becker/whoiam.html