Re: Quickcam VCt

Joel Jaeggli (joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 10:54:13 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Michael L. Galbraith wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Thomas Davis wrote:
>
> > And believe me, for the cost of a BT848 card & camera, if you are
> > serious about video, FORGET TOTALLY ABOUT THE CONNECTIX products.
> >
> > They are badly designed for a Unix system; they was designed for a non
> > multi-tasking, low cost system (ie, Win95/MacOS) (ie, the Quickcam is a
> > polled only hardware, and is capable of only 1-15 frames per second,
> > depending on resolution & color/greyscale depth)
> >
> > My suggestion: Take the quickcam back, and get a refund.
> >

> Out of curiosity, exchange it for what if you want a cam for play with.

try a bt848 based card like the hauppauge wintv which costs around $100
and any ntsc video source (or the wintv with camera model). in addition to
being a decent capture device with reasonable support under linux, see:

http://www.thp.uni-koeln.de/~rjkm/linux/bttv.html

it means you can also watch tv on your linux box.

> -Mike
>

> -

Joel Jaeggli joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E