Re: pre-2.1.96-1 panic: Inactive in scsi_request_queueable

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 13:42:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Keith Owens wrote:

> After patching ll_rw_block to release the spinlock before calling
> dev->request_fn, loopback worked. Alas it exposed another bug, panic:
> Inactive in scsi_request_queueable. The comments at the start of
> scsi_request_queueable say it must be called with interrupts disabled
> but it seems that they are enabled.

It must be called with the IO-request lock held, which is why your change
introduces a problem.

The correct fix to the loopback problem is to make sure loopback doesn't
cause any recursive invocations of the io-request lock, so there is a need
to drop the lock somewhere in the loopback driver. I've never known the
loopback driver well enough to know where..

Linus