Re: Improving Ext2 Reliability

Thomas Molina (linker@nightshade.ml.org)
Tue, 14 Apr 1998 00:58:17 -0400 (EDT)

Well.. You wont like this.... BUT:

I've assembled quite a few small squid caches using Linux..
I've put the cache in a partition of it's own, and I've modified the
startup scripts so that if /cache wasn't cleanly unmounted.. It just
remakes the fs.

Furthermore the system programs are allmost all in /usr with is mounted
read only..

Losing the cache is bad.. But it's better then downtime..
The solition is prob Logging FSes.. But they tend to be slow..

I'd rather blow the cache on the increadibly rare improper shutdown then
be slow all the time or require a long check at boot..

Actually, if you ever have an improper shutdown, I expect something is
seriously wrong anyplace..