Re: Testers wanted: exorcised kmod.c: no more daemon!

Adam J. Richter (adam@yggdrasil.com)
Tue, 14 Apr 1998 12:24:48 -0700

Greg Zornetzer <gaz+@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>so during this whole kmod fix process, I was thinking about problems of
>extending kmod so that it's a more flexible interface between the kernel &
>userspace. When I was looking through the kerneld code and saw the cute
>things like replacing a beep with running a sound player, executing screen
>savers instead of a screen blank, etc, I was thinking that instead of
>request_module invoking /sbin/modprobe directly, it invokes a wrapper that
>will call modprobe for the general case, but can be used for other tasks
>also (even request_route, although as people have pointed out,
>request_route is buggy at best).
>
>Lets take the example of the mixer settings not saved problem.
>If we could make a system where the mixer settings are made available by
>sysctl, we could have a program that gets called via request_module in
>init_module and cleanup_module that restores and saves mixer settings from
>one module invokation to the next. Most of the work is in userspace, the
>kernel just tells userspace when to do its thing.

As everyone on this mailing list seems to agree, there needs to be
a user level method for reading the mixer settings before the module
is removed. As far as the kmod/modprobe support goes, that is already
present. Just add lines like the following to /etc/conf.modules:

pre-remove sound /usr/bin/save_mixer_settings
post-install sound /usr/bin/restore_mixer_settings

If you want to do something more exotic, you can change the program
that request_module invokes (under all the versions of kmod) by writing
to /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe.

--
Adam J. Richter     __     ______________   4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 205
adam@yggdrasil.com     \ /                  San Jose, California 95129-1034