Re: Reading past end of data on a scsi tape unit

Wed, 15 Apr 1998 17:53:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Marcel J.E. Mol wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I accidently wrote a small file (few kB) on a 8mm tape. Previously
> the tape contained a large tar file. As only the first few
> tape blocks are rewritten, most of the tar file should stille be there.
> BUT the tape driver or tape unit refuses to read past the 'end
> of data' marker.
>
> So I'd like to know if it is possible to change the scsi driver
> to allow reading past this point?

`man mt` will tell all, but, the tape device that you use must
have its high-bit set in the minor device number.

In other words:
`file /dev/st0` reports 9/0
`file /dev/st1` reports 9/1
`file /dev/st3` reports 9/128 (on my system)
|__ the one to use to address the first tape.

You should be able to space to beyond the first EOF marker:

mt -f /dev/st3 fsf 1
|______________ your drive

Or, you can do:

mt -f /dev/st3 eod
|______________ your drive
.... then

tar -xvf /dev/st3 whatever
|____________ your drive

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.92 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).