Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #1823

Elijah L. Wright (elw@wc-rt.tntech.edu)
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 01:25:42 -0500 (CDT)

> From: "Vijay G. Bharadwaj" <vgb@isr.umd.edu>
>
> The following trivial patch makes it so I can do things like "rm -rf
> drivers/sbus" on my source tree without having "make dep" die. I have a
> Pentium PC, I think I'm unlikely to ever need SBUS drivers on this thing,
> so why not save diskspace and a few minutes of compilation time? Besides,
> it looks like the right thing to do - make shouldn't need to touch stuff I
> haven't configured in at all. I've also fixed similar bogus dependencies
> on PCI, SCSI, sound, cdrom, ISDN, PnP and Macintosh drivers.

Hmm... it takes 1 minute and 57 seconds to do a make dep on my pitifully
slow alpha... yes, slower than your pentium. :) (100mhz clunker...)

anyway, does it really save you much time to be able to delete those trees
of code? make dep flies through here at around 7 or 8 directories a
second...

disk is too cheap to worry too much about deleting little pieces of
kernel. :) IMO, at least. I like the kernel all in one piece so i can
build over nfs.... heheheheh.... :)

besides, you never know when you might come across a good deal on some
weird hardware.... :)

--elijah wright