Re: final(?) no-daemon kmod diffs for linux-2.1.96

Werner Almesberger (almesber@lrc.di.epfl.ch)
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 12:31:55 +0200 (MET DST)

Adam J. Richter wrote:
> I believe we can avoid that, by calling the initial ramdisk
> program "/sbin/init" instead of "/linuxrc"

The difference is intentional:
- your initrd may contain an /sbin/init, which is different from /linuxrc
- just using the /sbin/init code would imply that the init=xxx boot
command-line option changes the choice of _both_ programs/scripts
- if you're really pressed for space, you may possibly want to use a
reduced FS that doesn't support directories
- "linuxrc" self-documents the purpose ;-)

Perhaps the only thing that needs changing wrt /linuxrc is that there
should be a boot command-line option to pick a different name than
"/linuxrc".

- Werner