Re: FAT bugs...

Matija Nalis (mnalis@public.srce.hr)
Fri, 17 Apr 98 19:16 MET DST

In linux-kernel, you wrote:
>Trying to mount either a VFAT or MSDOS partition on 2.1.95 elicits this
>gnarly error numerous times the first time I do an ls of the root
>directory and a couple of times each time I enter most subdirectories:
>
># mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt
># ls /mnt
>/mn/ kill_dentry: kill_dentry --linux-.--- :inode is NULL
>
>Also, when I try to ls a directory with long filenames (with VFAT only) I
>get:
>
># ls /mnt/linux
>ls: /mnt/linux/modutils-2.1.85.tar.gz: No such file or directory
>ls: /mnt/linux/linux-2.1.95.tar.gz: No such file or directory
>bind boot.img ipv6 redhat supp.img
>#

Hmmmmm, the kernel debug messages above (kill_dentry and stuff) are mine.
Problem is, they have nothing to do with VFAT. There are in UMSDOS.

Could it be that you mounted umsdos partition recently (eg. since last
reboot), probably on /mnt ? There is known problem with umsdos currently,
that it does not completely un-register itself on umount (working on finding
out why) so next mount will use umsdosfs regardless of fs-type specified.

Also, since you obviously use UMSDOS, please read fs/umsdos/README-WIP.txt.
I even think there is a note warning about this (and many other) problems.

--
Opinions above are GNU-copylefted.