Re: unicode (char as abstract data type)

Alex Belits (abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us)
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 16:13:53 -0700 (PDT)

On 17 Apr 1998, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> > worst format ever invented by a human.
>
> Hardly. Try UTF-7 or ISO 2022 if you want a truly hideous format; or
> the rapidly deprecated UTF-1. Alex, you're already on record as
> having an axe to grind because UTF-8 doesn't assign single-byte
> characters to Russian characters, so I presume everyone already know
> to take what you're saying with a grain of salt.

It doesn't change the fact that Russians, other than myself, also don't
want to use Unicode in any kind of representation.

> UTF-8 is actually very well done given the constraints imposed on it.
> Yes, it's a compromise, but it had to be.

Charset labeling is a compromise. Unicode is a decision of
non-representative committee, imposed on everyone else by lazy software
vendors who don't want to do language specific processing, but want to
label their products as "internationalized".

> As far as Unicode being irritating (responding to the > > > poster
> above); I think we have to remember that internationalization is
> *hard*, and part of why it's hard is because for the longest time you
> couldn't even write any language other than bastardized English
> (bastardized because you couldn't write words like naïve or résumé
> properly).

I had no problem writing in Russian since I have first used computer in
1985. Neither my parents can remember any trouble with that.

> Now, with 8-bit charsets being common, people living in
> countries where 8 bits are enough (especially ISO 8859-1 countries)
> are whining about the complexity of supporting more than 8 bits.

AFAIK, people who always used more than 8 bits are not the biggest
proponents of Unicode either -- europeans (iso8859-1) and americans
(us-ascii) are.

> I really would hate to see Linux falling behind in this area.

I will rather prefer handling of national alphabets to be done by people
who use them in their everyday life. Otherwise there will be a lot of
pissed off people and unusable software.

--
Alex