Re: 2.1.93..

Richard Gooch (Richard.Gooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU)
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 10:45:33 +1000

Leonard N. Zubkoff writes:
> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 13:13:13 +0200
> From: Martin Mares <mj@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
>
> IMHO only few users have more than one SCSI controllers and I think we can
> ask them to specify BIOS number for the disk they want to boot from manually.
>
> I think you will find many more users with such a configuration than you
> anticipate. If, for example, Red Hat x.y were to come out and include this
> requirement for manual specification for booting I think you'd find it gives
> Linux an undeserved black eye.

Leonard is right. I think you'll see a lot of people moving to Ultra
Wide controllers, because they are quite affordable now, and the discs
are around the same price as Fast Narrow.
However, Fast Narrow controllers are now dirt cheap, so it makes sense
to put your CD-ROM, tape drive and scanner on another controller,
leaving the Ultra Wide one for faster devices. Having that second
controller is also really handy when a friend plugs their hard disc
into your machine (you know: sneaker-net:-) and you don't want to have
to care what SCSI ID it is jumpered to.

Regards,

Richard....