Re: My memory is rusty

Gerhard Mack (gmack@imag.net)
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 21:58:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Warren Hughes wrote:
> Rusty .....that's a term I haven't heard to explain degraded
> performance...but anyways...:)....as a Computer Technician it seems that I
> see this kind of situation almost on a daily basis....I don't want to
> sound like I am talking down to you, I'm not...but many
> times...performance degration is usually causes of end users' not
> performing routine maintenance on their respective systems...it seems that

I partially agree with this statement, I've seen windoze machines with 30
megs of lost chains, sure they need to check the drive more often but
the point is the os shouldn't generate them in the first place.

That reminds me, anyone know of a disk defragmenter for linux ?

> many users think that they just go buy a system and voila, it runs
> perfectly forever....if we were to treat our vehicles in the same fashion,
> automakers would control the world...(don't they already?!) Regarding your
> statement that when you boot into your kernel, performance goes bad, it's
> probably just because you are trying to run programs that are "memory
> hogs" and of course, the way to solve that is to increase your RAM and
> processor power. I know how it is to run at 16 M with a Pentium
> 120....it's not fun...and it would be different if only coders who write
> programs wouldn't make them for the 64 M machines that they happen to
> own...I see that all the time! I currently run 80 M with a 120 MHz
> processor....I still don't like memory hogs...it's annoying...

It would seem to me that if that was the problem all the user would have
to do is close everything and the problem would be solved.

To the original poster: Does that work?

--
Gerhard Mack
irc admin centurion.starchat.net

gmack@imag.net innerfire@starchat.net

As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.