Re: [Kernel Msgs] 2.1.97

BlueFlux (blueflux@technologist.com)
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 20:08:26 +0200 (MET DST)

Its a 'new' ip fragmentation bug(in <2.1.96), then it was fixed in
2.1.97, but now they use the same fix to do an new kind of DoS which will
eat up your CPU a little(if nothing else, your xterm/console=), a patch
has already been sent in by someone, cant remember who, but it should be
fixed in 2.1.98 i think.

Actually this 'newer' bug is much less dangerous than the old one was
which would freeze the whole system 100% of the time you where hit by it.
That bug is also affecting the 2.0.33 kernel and is now fixed in 2.0.34
pre8 if i remember it all correctly.

For more info on the matter check through the list archives since im not
realy that good with all this=)

Please, fill my post in on technicalities(sp?) since i realy didnt feel
like i should do that(I code poorly and This is my first response to
anything on the list that 'requires' one. There is nothing like learning=)

http://blueflux.home.ml.org
"Give me a dozen atom smashers, an underground laboratory, and a girl in a
diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care not who
writes the nations laws!"
-BlueFlux

On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, Nicholas J. Leon wrote:

> This morning on my 2.1.97 box (which has 2 pppd processes, ipchains and
> nothing else) I got about 100 of these messages:
>
> Invalid fragment list: Fragment over size
>
> Is this anything interesting?

[snip]...