Re: [SMP patch] io-apic-patch-2.1.97-A

W.T. Binneveld (wt.binneveld@binele.nl)
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 22:18:58 +0200

MOLNAR Ingo wrote:

> for those who still have 2.1.97 SMP boot/device problems, here is a 2.1.97
> patch that works around one rather rare BIOS bug. It has a chance to make
> a difference on Dell Poweredge and certain Micronics boards (but other
> boards might be affected as well).
>
> if there is still anyone with a board having fundamental SMP troubles
> around, then please let me know ASAP. Most common 'fundamental' problems:
>
> - 'soft' or 'hard' hang at boot
> or - some device doesnt work at all, driver says something nasty but
> the system works under 2.0.33 or on uniprocessor kernels just
> fine
> or - system boots but strange 'IPI' messages pop up and system hangs
> quickly
> or - [or other symptoms]
>
> it might be that i have accidentally overlooked some bug report, please
> resend in such cases, there we quite many SMP fixes in recent kernels and
> 2.1.97+this_patch is supposed to work in 100% of the cases.

Hi,

I have an ALR Revolution Q-SMP board with four P133 processors
on it.
I tried to run 2.1.97+IO-Apic patch, but it still won't work :-(

I can run the 2.1.97 kernel fine with UniProcessor kernel.
SMP_kernel compiles OK, but at booting it always comes to :

CPU0: Intel Pentium 75+ stepping 0b
Calibrating APIC timer
..... CPU Clock speed is 133.3200 Mhz
..... APIC bus clock speed is 533.3113 Mhz.
Booting processor 1 eip2000 : Not responding
Booting processor 2 eip2000 : Not responding
Booting processor 3 eip2000 : Not responding

The system then tries to boot further and finally hangs at :

Kernel panic : IO-APIC + timer doesn't work !

Any ideas ?

Greetings,
Wim Binneveld

Ir. W.T. Binneveld           e-mail : wt.binneveld@binele.nl
Binele Internet, dochter van Binnevelds Element bv
Landelijke inbelpunten voor ISDN, 33K6, 56Kflex, huurlijnen
http://www.binele.nl/
Telefoon : 030 - 2804538                 Fax : 030 - 2804552
Mobiel : 06-51522453
Alexander de Grotelaan 8 - 3526 RJ Utrecht - The Netherlands