Re: crash?

Joel Jaeggli (joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 19:54:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 19 Apr 1998 linker@nightshade.ml.org wrote:

> Perhaps this would be enough evedience for someone to get a court order to
> force MS to allow someone to compair code (under NDA of course).

What you kind of missed there dude, is that many operating systems,
including linux as well as some router os's such as ios all have similar
problems... Why, because all those people got together and agreed at one
point on somebodys version of a standard. Then they got together and
tested them for some form of interoperability. The problems that various
implementations have are as much rfc and optimization issues as they are
issues of whose code is in what.

At the same time there has been a lot of discussion of what really works
so code is going to be similar in solving certain problems in almost all
tcp/ip stacks, for example, many if not most tcp/ip implementations use
van jackobson's slow start scheme to ramp up throughput on tcp/ip
connections.

If you independantly design two systems to be functionally identical,
they're probably going to fail in similar ways, witness the origional ibm
bois versus the compaq bios which was 100% non-infringing while at the
same time extremely compatible...

joelja

> > > Only insofar as teardrop itself does
> > >
> > Interesting observation. Windoze seems to have the same kind of Networking
> > bugs that Linux had (past tense). Historically, ping-of-death, SYN-flood,
> > several teardrops, death-on-flaxen wings, etc.
> >
> > Question; "Since Linux is published, Windoze is not. Who copies who?"

Joel Jaeggli joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E