Re: gcc 2.8.1 (Re: Uploaded 2.0.34pre9)

Dean Gaudet (dgaudet-list-linux-kernel@arctic.org)
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 12:29:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Michiel Boland wrote:

> There are bugs in gcc-2.8.1 and there are bugs in linux-2.0.3x.
>
> If you force people to stick to old gcc versions just to compile
> a linux kernel, you will never discover the bugs in gcc-2.8.1,
> and you will never discover broken hacks in the kernel source.

I think it can be put more like this: the folks working on 2.0.3x
probably have their hands full enough as it is just dealing with the bugs
in linux-2.0.3x. Changing the compiler adds a whole slew of new bugs
which they don't have to find; folks don't have to use gcc-2.8.x.

We've got various folks who have tried Apache with 2.8.x and get segfaults
that don't appear under 2.7.x. So I'm tempted to say that if anyone
submits a bug report against apache using 2.8.x that I will close it out
with a comment saying "please open another report if this bug appears
using the stable 2.7.x compilers; please report the bug to the GNU folks
if the bug doesn't appear when you use the 2.7.x compilers".

Dean