Re: unicode (char as abstract data type)

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@work.noris.de)
21 Apr 1998 11:52:37 +0200

Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us> writes:

> > > I can _not_ ignore it if it's there. As some discussion in IETF FTP-WG
> > > demonstrated, in some cases (such as FTP directory) the only way to handle
> > > unknown charset at the other end of the wire is to asume something about
> >
> > Since when did we put FTP service into the kernel?
>
> FTP uses kernel system calls last time I have checked. And it doesn't

Nope, FTP uses libc calls. Give it a "site encoding KOI8-R" call and it'll
tell the libc to transliterate these pesky file names, and bingo you see
what you always saw.

> transfer charset information from remote end. And has no means for
> that. However NFS (quite kernel-related thing) doesn't know anything about
> libc,

NFS is a kernel-to-kernel interface. The libc on the client machine is
expected to do the transliteration, if any.

> What if I use multiple charsets and don't want kernel to meddle? Or I
> use database?

You can't use multiple charsets ... ahem, encodings please, on one
filesystem transparently.

Databases and their contents are a userspace problem; libc has the
transliteration routines should you need them.

--
Matthias Urlichs
noris network GmbH