Re: 2.1.97 mm and cache

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 11:12:14 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> root@dragon:/proc/sys/vm# cat pagecache
> 1 1 1
> root@dragon:/proc/sys/vm# cat freepages
> 2000 5000 10000

Freepages isn't used any more (and will be re-used RSN).

> Am I interpreting the docs right? (using 1 2 3 for pagecache don' t make
> differences) It should be the the normal beaviour?

It seems there's a typo in mm/vmscan.c, I'll fix this
too.

> >The change we'll probably need is changing the swap policy
> >to SC_ROUNDROBIN from SC_whatwehavenow.
> >(see the 1.2.xx source code for references :)
>
> I really don' t think the problems is the swap code. I think the problem
> is the cache allocating code. Only it. Then the swapping code try to free
> memory swapping all out. As ever I never got into mm details so I can be
> wrong.

You are :) Kswapd frees pagecache & buffermem pages first
when one of them is above maximum...
When both (one of them?) is under borrowpercent, kswapd
should free one cache/buffer page and one normal page in
turn.
(which it currently doesn't do)

Rik.