SCSI adapter ordering change (was: 2.1.93..)

Hans-Joachim Widmaier (hjwidmai@foxboro.com)
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 08:12:59 +0200

Michael K. Johnson:

> "Leonard N. Zubkoff" writes:
> > Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 13:13:13 +0200
> > From: Martin Mares <mj@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
> >
> > IMHO only few users have more than one SCSI controllers and I think we can
> > ask them to specify BIOS number for the disk they want to boot from manually.
> >
> >I think you will find many more users with such a configuration than you
> >anticipate.
>
> Leonard is correct. In particular, there are two classes of users who have
> multiple SCSI controllers: those who have large systems and usually have two
> controllers of the same kind, and those who have a scanner or tape or something
> that they want on a separate SCSI bus and usually have two different kinds
> of controllers.

Which applies to my sytem. I have a second SCSI host adapter for peripheral
devices. I only wasn't bitten by the order change because there are no
disk drives on that. I do have to change some settings, though, to make an
old tape drive behave. I also have a script to add/remove devices - now these
depend on the kernel version ;-(

--
Hans-Joachim Widmaier