Re: Euro symbol (going further off topic)

Michael Talbot-Wilson (talmg@wren.forensic.sa.gov.au)
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 12:19:50 +0930

> From: hm@seneca.muc.de (Harald Milz)
> Date: Tue, 21 Apr 98 22:43 CEST
> Subject: Re: Euro symbol
>
> > > economy if it is to succeed. Supporting Euro (which is pronounced (in
> > > Danish notation) =F8vro, or actually as in french or german 'euro') is =
>
> According to a very important member of the German government, it's "oiro",
> with the tune rising towards the end.

I supposed it's been mentioned before, but the euro is a smallish Australian
macropod. There are kangaroos, wallabies, euros and a few others.

Before the conversion from pounds, shillings and pence to decimal currency
in 1966 there was debate about what the new major unit of the Australian
currency was to be called. One of the proposals was the "kanga", but finally
the boring and imitative "dollar" won the day.

If the name of our currency was the kanga it would be neat if the EC
selected the euro. As it is, I think you should leave the euro to us.

--Mike