[offtopic] Re: Did anyone else notice?

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:52:27 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Dossy wrote:

> > > True, although I think international date format is nicer; especially
> > > since it is monotonic.
> >
> > It has an implicit year 10,000 problem
>
> The thought that we'll survive another 8k years is more than optimistic,
> in my book. And more likely than not we'll probably end up re-numbering
> our years within the next millenium, like going from BCE to AD, we'll
> probably go from AD to AA (after armageddon?) or somesuch nonsense.

That's quite unlikely, considering how much information
notation is entrenched in our culture.
We've been keeping careful track of everything since
150BC (even earlier in Greece), so it's not that likely
that this 2000year habit will be broken in the next 1000
years...
Especially considering the facts that:
- it's only gotten more entrenched in society, as more people
learnt to read/write
- we get much of our info in written form
- we just depend on it, and because after an armageddon the
automated machinery may be gone, we will just have to stick
to the old stuff

Rik.